Disable Windows Defender Windows 10 – Windows Defender is the built-in antivirus program for Windows 10. Windows Defender will automatically activate on your computer.
Windows Defender sometimes prevents certain games and apps from opening because they think it’s dangerous, so you need to temporarily disable them.
If you don’t disable Windows Defender, it will continue to prevent you from opening these apps or games.
You may also have installed a third-party antivirus app such as Kaspersky, AVG, or others so that you no longer need Windows Defender.
How to Disable Windows Defender Windows 10
Therefore, in this article we will show you how to disable Windows Defender, be it temporarily or permanently.
1. How to Temporarily Disable
You can do this first method if you want to temporarily disable Windows Defender.
For example, when you want to install and run games, applications, or other things but are blocked by Windows Defender.
But every time you restart the computer, Windows Defender will reactivate itself.
These are the following steps:
- First, first open Windows Defender on your laptop or computer. The trick is to press the Windows key, then type “Windows Defender”. Then press enter.
- Second, select the “Virus & threat protection” option.
- Third, On the “Virus & threat protection settings” menu, you can disable all protection options by sliding the slider to the left.
- Done. Now Windows Defender on your computer has been turned off or disabled for a while.
Remember, if you use this method, Windows Defender will active again once you restart the computer.
For those of you who want to disable Windows Defender in Windows 10 permanently, you can follow the second method below.
2. How to Permanently Disable Windows Defender Using Group Policy
If you feel you don’t need Windows Defender and want to disable it permanently, then you can try this second method.
These are the following steps:
- Press the Windows key on the computer keyboard to open the Start Menu.
- Then type gpedit.msc then press enter.
- Next, confirm the UAC prompt.
- Then select Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Defender.
- In that menu, you will find the option “Turn off Windows Defender”.
- Then disable Windows Defender by selecting the “Disabled” option.
- After that click the “OK” button.
- Windows Defender on your computer will then be permanently disabled immediately.
3. How to Disable Windows Defender Using Windows Registry
Another way to disable Windows Defender is through the Windows Registry. You can try this method if using the two methods above doesn’t work.
- Press the Windows key to open the Start Menu.
- Then type regedit.exe and press enter.
- Confirm further if a small window appears.
- Next, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftWindows Defender
- Next, there will be a DisableAntiSpyware preference on the right, double click and set it to 1 to disable Windows Defender.
- If you don’t see these registry entries, then double-click on the Windows Defender option and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value, then name it DisableAntiSpyware.
So, those were the steps for disabling Windows Defender on a computer using Windows 10.
However, there is one thing to note.
When you have disabled Windows Defender, you must be more careful when using the computer.
Because without Windows Defender active, your computer will be more vulnerable to attacks by viruses, malware, and other malicious programs.
Especially for those of you who often download files from the internet. It’s better to make sure first that the file you want to download is safe. Make sure you only download files from trusted sites.